What is the scholarship?
In 2021, the Northern Territory Public Health Network (PHN) is offering scholarships to assist Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander medical students to undertake placements in the Northern Territory. Students can apply to undertake:
- a clinical training placement for a minimum of 4 weeks and a maximum 8 weeks duration in an NT public hospital to develop skills in an area of medicine; or
- a remote clinical training placement of a minimum 6 weeks duration; or
- cultural immersion placement (as approved by AIDA) of up to a week’s duration.
The scholarship is valued at $3,300 and will contribute to the cost of:
- travel, accommodation, and/or other expenses in undertaking the placement.
What will the successful applicant/s be required to do?
The recipient/s will be required to:
- organise their clinical training placement (which then must be completed by end of 2021). This could include a current or already planned placement, provided it is the Northern Territory. (Further information on organising clinical placements in the NT can be found by clicking here or by emailing email@example.com.); or obtain appropriate approvals from their workplace and/or training institution prior to travel arrangements being made
- provide a written confirmation of placement from the relevant practice or institution
- give consent to their contact details being passed to NT PHN and AIDA to help in the planning of support and pre-placement contact
- report on and acquit all scholarship funds
- write a 500-word article, based on their experience, for possible use in AIDA publications upon completion of their placement.
Who can apply?
The scholarship is for Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander medical students with clinical training placements ONLY available to students enrolled in the penultimate or final year of their medical degree.
Applicants must be a current student member of AIDA by the application closing date.
Scholarships are available only for the purposes of providing financial assistance to undertake an appropriate clinical or cultural immersion placement and to assist with costs of travel and accommodation.
To apply, please complete the online form below. The application form must include a completed budget estimate, also found below.
Applications for the scholarship must address the selection criteria in the application form and attach a projected budget of costs for the placement and any other additional financial or in-kind support that is being provided.
Please note that the application should be lodged by midnight (AEST) Friday 20 August 2021.
AIDA will assess each application and select the successful applicant/s. AIDA may request more information and/or a telephone interview in support of the application if necessary.
AIDA’s decision is final. There will be no appeals process.
Queries: please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
These scholarships have been made possible by funding from the Northern Territory PHN.