An Introduction to Cultural Safety
The self paced course Cultural Awareness – An Introduction to Cultural Safety has been developed by Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander doctors, and includes content on cultural awareness, the historical context to health realities, and application to health practice.
The training is designed for a broad audience including doctors, nurses, healthcare workers, students, government organisations and universities.
This online module is the entry point to our cultural safety program, and will take approximately 3.5 hours, and includes reading, embedded video recordings, and time to pause and reflect. You will need to create a login to enrol and begin the training modules.
- 1. Examine your own cultural worldviews and values, and describe the implications for health care practice.
- 2. Analyse the limitations of one’s own perspectives and reflect upon the implications of one’s own worldview for delivering culturally safe health care.
- 3. Articulate the concept of cultural humility as a process of lifelong learning.
- 1. Describe the health of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples pre-colonisation and identify key events since colonisation that continue to impact the health of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
- 2. Recognise Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples’ ways of knowing, being and doing in the context of history, culture, and diversity.
- 1. Recognise the important role of relationships with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health professionals, organisations and communities.
- 2. Describe the concept of strengths-based knowledge and communication and how this is used to balance deficit discourses within the Australian context.
Several medical colleges have recognised this self paced course for 1 CPD point per hour. Please contact us for more information.
This online training is the entry point to our cultural safety program and is the pre-learning for AIDA’s Cultural Safety Training – and is automatically made available to all participants enrolling in our face-to-face Cultural Safety training.
$225 (including GST).
To arrange payment and log-in options for a group booking please contact email@example.com or 1800 190 498.
This training is designed to be fully online, comprising three separate modules addressing 54 discreet topics. It is designed to be completed in approximately three hours.